What’s Cooking this Week on In The Kitch?
Category Archives: Side Dishes
Flour, for Dredging
1 Egg, Raw
1 C/60g (Approx.) Fine Dry Breadcrumbs
Handful Fresh Parsley, Chopped
Handful Parmesan Cheese, Finely Grated
1 Pkg Johnsonville Lightly Seasoned Ground Sausage
4 Large Medium-Boiled Eggs, Peeled
Peanut or Grapeseed Oil, for Frying
1. Pour about ½ C (60g) flour onto a plate.
2. Beat the raw egg in a small bowl.
3. Mix the breadcrumbs, parsley, and Parmesan and spread on another plate.
4. Divide the sausage meat into four equal parts.
5. Working one boiled egg at a time, dip it in the flour to cover, then shake off any excess.
6. Flatten a section of sausage meat in the palm of the hand, lay the egg in it, then wrap around like a blanket, eventually smoothing it out so that the egg has an even “shell” of sausage all around it.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining eggs.
8. Heat about two inches of oil in a small saucepan with a rip of bread in it. When the bread sizzles, remove it, and keep the temperature of the oil steady.
9. Take a sausage-wrapped egg and dip it first in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture to coat completely. Lower it on a slotted spoon into the oil and cook, turning, until the sausage meat is completely cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with the slotted spoon and dab with paper towel to dry, then continue with the remaining eggs.
Cut in half to serve warm or at room temperature, with or without salad, perhaps with pickles and cheese, and definitely some cold beer.
Brie and Apple Tart Ingredients:
1 225g Sheet Butter Puff Pastry, Thawed and Laid Flat
1 Tub Spreadable Brie, Softened
2 to 3 Medium Apples, Unpeeled (Royal Gala or Granny Smith)
2 Tbsp Sugar
Rosemary Syrup Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Water
Lemon Juice, Freshly Squeezed1-2 Tsp Rosemary, Finely Chopped (More for Scattering)
Brie and Apple Tart Directions:
Heat the oven to 375°F.
Lay the pastry on a baking sheet, still on its paper. Spread the surface generously with the softened brie. Leave the apples unpeeled and cut into 4 sections, similar to cutting the cheeks of mangos. Thinly slice the apples, chopping until you have enough to cover the pastry. Slightly overlapping, arrange the apples on top of ng the brie, and finish by sprinkling the apples with sugar. Bake until the pastry is puffed up and golden and the apples are soft, about 25-30 minutes.
While the tart bakes, put the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until the syrup coats a spoon, about 10 minutes, depending on how fast you’re boiling. Keep an eye on it.
Remove the tart from the oven. Drizzle the syrup over the tart using a spoon. Cut into little squares, and serve!
3 T Butter
1/3 C Light Sour Cream
4 Cups Frozen Hash Browns, Defrosted
1 1/2 C Light (Old/Sharp) Cheddar Cheese, Grated
1/3 C Canned Low-Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 C Finely Chopped Onion (Approximately 1 Small Onion)
1 Pkg (375 g) Johnsonville Maple Syrup Flavoured Sausages, Cooked and Cut into 1/4 Inch Pieces
Cook sausages according to package instructions.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray.
Chop cooked sausage links into ¼ inch circles.
Cook onion in butter for 2 minutes on high in microwave.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the defrosted hash browns, onion cooked in butter, mushroom soup, sour cream, eggs, grated cheddar cheese and sausages.
Scoop mixture into muffin tins to the top and pack down tightly with spatula (ensure they are packed to the top to make for easier removal).
Bake for 20-30 minutes in pre-heated oven.
Remove from oven, let cool for about 3-5 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edge of each muffin cup to loosen the Maple Sausage Brunch Bites.
Let cool a full 10 minutes, run knife around edges once more, then carefully remove with a spatula and place on plates.
Serve immediately topped with salsa garnish and with fruit/fruit salad (optional)
*Optional: Garnish with 2 tsp. salsa
Serve with fruit
Yields: 12 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Bake/cook time: 30 minutes
• Butter for Baking Sheet
• Flour for Baking Sheet (Club House Gluten Free Rice Flour Can Be Used as a Substitute)
• ½ Tsp. Club House Caramel Extract (French Vanilla or Lemon Extract Can Be Used as a Substitute)
• 1 Large Pinch Club House Ground Cinnamon
• 1 C Billy Bee Honey
• 4 ½ C Blanched Hazelnuts
• 8 Egg Whites, Room Temperature
• Cake Mate Cookie Icings
• Cake Mate Scribblers
• Cake Mate Décors
1. Preheat oven to 275°F.
2. Butter and flour a baking sheet.
3. In a food processor with the blade attachment, finely chop the nuts.
4. Beat the egg whites to a soft peak in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a bowl using a handheld electric mixer, then add the nuts. Next, add cinnamon, honey, and the caramel extract. Mix to incorporate and use a flat spatula to transfer the contents of the bowl to a large pot. Cook on stove top over low heat for 5-10 minutes to dry the dough out a bit.
5. Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, form small balls of dough and drop them onto the buttered, floured baking sheet. Next, lay wax paper over the cookies and using a rolling pin or a flat surface, gently spread thin.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cookies turn golden brown. Once they look crisp, let them rest on a cooling rack, or forget that and eat them right away, while they are still hot, with milk.
7. Use cookie icing, scribbler gels and décor to decorate the cookies.
• 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
• 3 Green Onions, Julienned
• 250 g Johnsonville Hot Italian Ground Sausage
• 1 Thumb-Size Piece Galangal OR Ginger, Grated
• 1/2 to 1 C Shredded Cabbage
• 1/2 C Fresh Cilantro, Roughly Chopped
• 1 Pkg Spring Roll Wrappers
• 1 Carrot, Julienned
• 1 Red Chili, Minced (if Desired)
• 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
• 2 C Bean Sprouts
• 4 Shiitake Mushrooms, Sliced
• Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
Stir Fry Liquid Ingredients
• 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
• 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
• 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
• Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Add the soy sauce to quickly marinate the sausage.
2. In a wok, add oil; when it’s very hot, add the green onions, ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the sausage and stir fry for 2 minutes on high.
4. Add the carrots, mushrooms, and cabbage and continue to cook for 1 minute, then add the stir fry liquid and red chili (if desired).
5. Mix in the bean sprouts and cilantro.
6. Remove from heat
7. Add a little bit of water to the outside edges of the spring roll wrapper.
8. Add about 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture per spring roll wrapper. Take a corner of the spring roll and wrap around mixture, tucking the mixture in tightly as you roll. Fry the spring rolls at 180° C till golden brown and serve with a sweet chili sauce and fresh greens.
500g Minced Johnsonville Original Ground Pork
1 Small Onion, Finely Diced
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 Tsp Dried Chili Flakes
1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
2 Tbsp Milk
75g Fresh Breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
Seasoning to Taste
Cilantro Springs (to Garnish)
1 Tsp Ground Turmeric
2 Tsp Coriander Seeds
½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
4 Cardamom Cods, Crushed
1 Stalk Lemongrass, Trimmed & Smashed
1 Tsp Dried Chili Flakes
1 Knob Ginger, Peeled & Grated
300 Ml Chicken Stock
300 Ml Coconut Milk
100 Ml Water
1 to 2 Limes, Zested & Juiced
Sweat the onion down with half the oil and cook down with no colour till soft, add garlic then chili flakes. Place the meat into a cold bowl. Add the sautéed onion mixture, breadcrumbs, milk, and fresh cilantro. Mix thoroughly. Make as many golf ball size meatballs as you can from the mixture. Chill and reshape (optional). Heat the remaining oil and sauté the meatballs for 5 minutes or until brown on all sides, then remove from the pan.
In the same pan, toast the turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, lemongrass, chili, lime and ginger for several minutes. Add the stock, coconut milk, and water and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the meatballs and strain.
Season the liquid with salt, lime zest and juice and garnish.
Breakfast Potato Skins Ingredients
Serves 4 Hands-on Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 C 2% or Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 ½ C Low-Fat Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 C Vegetable Oil
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 8 Johnsonville Original Breakfast Sausage Links
- 3 Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
- ½ Yellow Onion, Diced
- 6 Eggs, Whisked
- 1 Ripe Avocado, Diced
Roasted Potato Salad with Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- 2 Lbs (approx.20) Baby Red & White Potatoes, Quartered
- ¼ C Canola Oil
- 3 Green Onions, Chopped
- 1 C Roasted Red Pepper, Chopped
- ½ C Dill Pickle, Chopped
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 3 Pieces Prosciutto, Sliced Thinly
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Chives, Chopped
Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- ¾ C Canola Oil
- ¼ C Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Fresh Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, Minced